Thursday, February 23, 2017

What was I thinking?

There's been more than one occasion where I've thrown up my arms and said "screw this" when it comes to writing my book on solo karate kata. I mean what the hell was I thinking? Well I was thinking I want to help people. Still it can be very frustrating, and even though I'm on the fifth rewrite, I am dedicated to getting this thing out in a timely manor. Unlike George RR Martin, I've actually been writing. The good news is that this rewrite is really focusing in like a laser on the principles of individual kata practice, the benefits and it's universal applications. Unlike many other explanatory books on karate this one doesn't skirt the issues or contradictions in karate. Many experienced karateka know intuitively what I'm writing about, but I think they've accepted the get to your armpit via the asshole method of getting to the core of karate. They know but can't put their finger on it.

Despite the reception it might get, I feel that it is my honor bound duty to get the book done and out, so I can move on with my damn life. I am fiercely on the side of the students when it comes to teaching. What is convenient for the instructor is irrelevant. What matters is what is best for the student, or the learner. So even though I might be tearing out what's left of my hair, I hope that the book will be at least a small contribution to the ongoing conversation that is modern karate.