Monday, January 4, 2016

Mental Training

I've read that doing things you hate is good mental training. This also includes doing things that scare you, but aren't dangerous. Public speaking for instance. I don't like doing certain things, but it was very hard to come up with something that I truly hate doing. I was coming back from the grocery store the other day and saw two young women running together on the sidewalk and chatting and I thought to myself, "I really hate running." I then realized what I had to do, and honestly wished I didn't have to do it.

I used to run all the time when I was in the service. Five-mile runs were common almost every morning whether it was raining, freezing, snowing or all three. I wasn't bad at running either. I just hated every single second of it. The slow plodding, the burning lungs, the cramps, aches and all the saliva that builds up in your mouth from trying to suck in as much oxygen as you can until you can barely breath, and knowing the whole time that you're completely fine and could probably even go faster. It's hell. If I'm going to work my cardiovascular system, I'd rather ride my bike. I can go for a few hours and relish the burn in my thighs. It feels like flying to me.

Today I went for a run. It was terrible, but I've already decided that I'll go for another one on Wednesday. I don't have to run, but if the point was for it to be easy and enjoyable than I'd just sit on the couch and play video games.