Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Striking Post and Limb Control

I'm somewhat surprised by how much I'm enjoying the striking post, and it's added an interesting element to my training. It's basically an immovable object. It seems strange, but I actually prefer this. Some of the postures in Seisan require making contact with the forearms, shins and feet at the same time and you need something sturdy to practice these types of techniques with any force.

It's also made me pay less attention to limb control than I used to and I think this is a good thing. Limb control is shown mostly as moving someone's arm to open up a target. This is a wasted action. More than likely there is a target open for attack without moving a person's limb. If I attack that, I don't have to move anything except my own body. If I do move someone's limbs, I don't want to just move it out of the way. I want to put it in a position so it can't be used to attack me, or I want to use their limbs to lever them off balance. Preferably I'll do both at the same time.

The striking post helps me remember to fight the whole body and not just focus on navigating limbs. It's another example of direct action I guess.